Sunday 5 January 2014

Family Christmas




We had a quiet Christmas, did a bit of festive cooking, watched a couple of TV movies and walked the dogs. The only time I went into the workshop was to fetch more food supplies from my makeshift larder. The kids were pleased with their gadgets that included an Ipad mini for Nell, Nintendo DS with Pokemon for Fergus and an old fashioned record turntable for Freya. 

Before we got too used to being lazy we packed up and caught a train to Norfolk to visit my family. I am pleased to report that there were no hold ups or hassles on our 3 connections and I enjoyed the opportunity to read a gripping thriller called "The Goldfinch" for almost 8 hours.

It was lovely to catch up with everyone and see how the little boy cousins have grown. There were more presents and yet more wonderful food! We collected a fresh turkey from the butcher in Beccles so we could have a full-blown Christmas Dinner on New Year’s Day and we also enjoyed a mooch around Norwich. Even the kids noticed how time passes differently in Norfolk as our days simply flew by. Too soon, we were back on the train back to Scotland and the journey seemed even longer on the way home. 

After such a long break I did not feel inclined to tackle my expanding TO DO list straightaway so I decided that laundry and taking down the Christmas decorations should suffice until school starts on Monday. I am tempted to start a completely irrelevant small sewing project just to get myself back in the workshop and to stop myself from undertaking a mega-spring-clean to avoid going in the workshop which has become very cold over the holidays. It will take a few days to get back up to a bearable working temperature. 

The house always feels like it might burst after Christmas until I find somewhere to stash the new stuff and we will have to polish off all of the cheese, biscuits and chocolate before we can possibly consider any new healthy eating regimes which is why my New Year’s resolutions will start a bit late - and I may just need a little sustenance to help get the dreaded annual tax return out of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment